30 October 2012

Not So Good News.

A friend recently told me that, when you are waiting for a loved one who is having cardiac catheterization, you can project the general outcome by the amount of time you are left sitting in the family waiting room.  The longer the wait, the greater the likelihood of a good outcome - it takes longer to give a fully confident opinion that there is little or no blockage.

The Mister went in at 7:50 a.m.

They came to get me at 8:20.

The good news is that the cardiologist was able to go in through the radial artery in his right wrist - no groin puncture, which is a bright shiny silver lining.

When they brought me back to the recovery area, the Mister was resting quietly but awake.  We waited together for the cardiologist to come tell us his findings.  I held my husband's hand for a few minutes, then noticed a restroom right across from his bedside.  Having had two large cups of coffee to jumpstart my morning, I succumbed to the biological call and said, "I will be RIGHT back, do not talk to the doctor without me."

Ninety seconds later, I returned to the bedside, where the Mister informed me that the doctor had already come and gone.  As my frustration mounted, he said, "yes, and he told me that I am in urgent need of custom intervention from Five Guys Burgers and Fries."  It was then that I smacked him.

The cardiologist came shortly thereafter and gave us the not so good news.  The Mister has cardiac disease throughout his heart, with two major areas of significant arterial blockage (one is 95% blocked, the other 80%).  Because his kidneys are still underperforming, today's cath was limited to diagnostic purposes only - the cardiologist did not do any stenting because it would've required more dye than his kidneys could safely process today.

In other circumstances, a bypass would be a preferable option but because of his kidney issues and combined with the location of the blockages, the MD thinks that the stents in those two areas are the best option with a very high likelihood of successful restoration of open arterial flow.

Unfortunately, they cannot place the stents until his kidneys can flush today's round of contrast dye, then recover enough to process a larger quantity of dye so they can pinpoint where the stents should go.  We would be most grateful if you praying types out there would pray for healing of his kidneys as well as his heart;  he can't go home until 24-48 hours after the stents are placed, and they can't place the stents until his kidneys can handle the dye. Tomorrow will be one full week as an inpatient;  while I may be disappointed, he is extremely discouraged.

In a half-hearted effort to practice what I preach, I am working hard to find some gratitude at the moment.  But I am working on it...

1.  My husband is alive and alert and loves his life and his family and his Savior.
2.  There are things to do to help improve his other blockages (medicines, cardiac rehab, more weight loss).
3.  Everything about Northside Forsyth Hospital is fantastic - nurses, doctors, room and facilities, housekeeping, food, parking...you name it, it has been awesome.
4.  We have health insurance.  (worth repeating frequently)
5.  God is in charge, not me, and His plan for our lives is always perfect.  You'd think I would be clear on that fact by now.

He respectfully and lovingly asks that we keep visitors and calls to a minimum today and tomorrow;  he knows how very much his friends love him, and it is absolutely not because he doesn't want to see anyone.  But he is very tired and doesn't feel particularly well. 

I may well blog again this afternoon just to purge some of the gunk in my own head at the moment but am signing off for now.  Thanks again for your prayers and affection.

No comments: