30 October 2012

Impatient In-patient

A wise friend once told me that it isn't a good idea to pray for patience.  Unlike other prayer requests, prayers for patience aren't usually answered with a yes or a no.  Instead, they are answered with ridiculously challenging opportunities to practice.  God doesn't just strike you with patience...

The Mister was admitted through the emergency room last Wednesday, October 24th, six days ago.  He has never been in the hospital for more than outpatient surgery or diagnostics, so he is becoming increasingly irritable and discouraged with each passing inpatient day.

I went out a while ago to cast my early vote for next Tuesday's election and to request an absentee ballot for him.  When I returned, I got a surly "welcome back" and a smattering of curse words, amidst which he informed me that he will be here until at least Friday.  The cardiologist stopped back by while I was out and explained that they cannot inject him with contrast dye two days in a row.

So regardless of whatever his creatinine looks like in the morning, the soonest they can do the stents will be Thursday.  As previously mentioned, they will not discharge him until 24-48 hours after the stents have been placed.

We went for a little walk around the 5th floor, where he half-jokingly identified the locations of all emergency exits and the elevators.  I'm thinking I should take his street clothes back home with me to discourage any attempt to escape.  In the event that you come across a goateed, bare-bottomed man in socks and a blue hospital gown making his way towards the nearest Subway, give me a jingle.

No comments: