18 April 2011

The Evil of Ego

One of my favorite movies is a violent piece of nastiness called "Revolver". There are all sorts of bad words and blood and guts, and there is pretty much nothing "appropriate" about it.

EXCEPT.

Mr. Green, played by Jason Statham (yum) is an ex-con who amassed significant wealth prior to his 7 year incarceration. Upon leaving prison, he shortly thereafter learns that he has a terminal illness, and through a bizarre chain of circumstances, finds himself in the company of two dubious benefactors who can allegedly help him solve his problem.

I won't recount the entire plot line, because frankly I'm not sure I can. There is depth to this film that is hard to grasp, much less explain. The upshot is that Mr. Green's very worst enemy turns out to be himself and the way that evil exploits his ego and weakness. The aforementioned "benefactors" teach him that giving himself away is his only hope.

Like I said, this movie is filled with F-bombs and violence galore (it's a Guy Ritchie movie), and it's just plain weird in parts. But, it moves me in a way that is again difficult to explain - except that I am Mr. Green.

No comments: