04 March 2012

OUCH

Summary of this post - I had my surgery yesterday and I am now a whiny helpless crybaby. Even I can't stand me. Not to mention that I could surely use a bath.

I forgot how difficult it is for the pre-op nurses to find a good vein in which to stick an IV. FOUR tries later, she finally got one to stay put on the side of my hand, below the thumb. Earlier attempts in the backs of my hands and my inner forearms have left me looking like a shameless pathetic junkie. At one point, the nurse chided me for having crooked little veins that are hard to stick. As if I have these veins just to make her day more difficult.

Fast forward to the recovery room where this sweet little demure Indian nurse kept barking at me to wake up and breathe, Lora lye. You must breathe deep breaths Loralye, or we will intubate you again, and we don't want that now, do we?! The various cords and leads plugging me into all of this equipment kept ratting me out when my breaths weren't deep enough to suit the Terror of the Taj Mahal. Beep - beep - BEEEEEP...shut up and let me rest, dang it!

When I had finally become oxygenated enough to suit Brahma Betty, they rolled me back over to the outpatient surgery waiting area where my husband, my son and my father were waiting.

I have to pause here for just a moment and restate that last sentence - where MY husband, MY son and MY father were waiting to see me, to make sure I was OK and to make sure I know they love me. Considering what a mess I used to be in the "men" department, having three generations of men that I love unconditionally smiling and waiting for me absolutely bowled me over. Blessed? Um, yeah.

Waiting now for the biopsy results to come back in the next few days and stretching my faith muscles to quell unreasonable anxiety. Our God is an awesome God, and whatever His plan for me may look like, He is my wonderful Counselor, Mighty God and Prince of Peace.

But meanwhile - I still say OUCH!!!!

No comments: