16 March 2012

Mental Gymnastics

I would like to propose creation of a new professional sport.  While it doesn't require much athletic ability, the level of endurance required is significant.  One must be ready to participate for hours, even days, at a time - with no breaks for rest or nature's call.

What is this fearsome activity? you ask.  Why, it's none other than MENTAL gymnastics!  It's the latest mind game that you can play whenever you want, and especially when you don't.  Once you get sucked in, it's nearly impossible to disengage, and real pros like me can even do it in our sleep.

Perhaps you've tried it yourself on an amateur level.  One popular version includes replaying arguments and disagreements over and over and over in your mind, with each iteration featuring a snappy new retort from you that renders your opponent defenseless.

Another frequent example is the exhausting attempt to envision all possible negative outcomes to any given situation.  If you worry about the right one hard enough, you can prevent it from happening.

I suppose the best word for all this mind goop is "worry".  Dang it.  I don't want to be a worrier.  Worriers are so annoying.  Why can't they just relax and take things as they come?  Now I'm worried about how I became such a worrier.

Truth is, worry is just another word for "fear", and as I've been taught time and time again, fear is the absence of faith.  Fear and faith cannot occupy the same thought.

Sooooooo, on that note, I think I've got some faithing to do.  Beats heck out of worrying.

No comments: