30 March 2012

HC Tour 2012 - Day One

Herein you will find the first entry regarding our American History and Culture Tour 2012. Daily entries are the goal, but I'm not making promises.

After a busy morning of last-minute prep, we made it onto the highway by early afternoon. We've rented a crossover vehicle with 3rd row seating so as to avoid having to flog the children on the side of the road for bickering. So far so good. But we did happen upon a less-fortunate family whose mother had just pulled off onto the emergency lane and was in the process of yanking a child out as we passed by. I suspect that our kids previously thought that "don't make me stop this car" was an empty idle threat, but they got kind of bug-eyed and somber when they saw it is a viable option.

We made three stops today; two times for caffeine and bathrooms, and then the other for dinner. While many people opt for McDonald's or a tidy BP station for their road trip bio breaks, I myself have an affinity for truck stops. You know, the kind where the cashier announces via PA system that Linda B. can now use Shower 12. The kind where you can buy Tammy Wynette CDs for $4.99, along with beef jerky and Goody's headache powders and random little glass figurines of unicorns and hummingbirds.

Truck stops have certainly evolved in recent years. I was surprised to see that one could purchase a wide array of high-tech audio/video equipment, hunting supplies and a decent wardrobe all in one spot. Given the fact that our second stop was just north of Charlotte, they also offered a wide array of NASCAR attire and memorabilia. I would have given anything to have my camera with me when the Mister tried on a knockoff driver jacket with a bunch of sponsor logos all over it.

(Speaking of NASCAR, our GPS took us off of I-85 and up U.S. 29 for about 15 miles, where we had the unexpected treat of seeing Charlotte Motor Speedway up close. I felt my redneck genes twitch happily as we drove by - I think the Coca-Cola 500 just went on my bucket list.)

At my insistence, we had an early supper at Daddy Joe's BBQ Beach House in Gaffney, S.C. I found this place a couple of years ago while traveling for work; as a formally trained and official Memphis-in-May barbecue judge, I always feel compelled to try out new places. Especially in the Carolinas, where they use extra vinegar and not that icky sweet ketchupy stuff. So anyhow, I dragged my family off of the highway to Daddy Joe's tonight, and it was as good as I remembered. If you're ever near Gaffney and you're looking for a fine pulled pork sandwich, get off at exit 92 and go about a mile; Daddy Joe's is in a crappy shack on the left, next to the Rite Aid.

One last observation; we have booked rooms with 2 double beds in each hotel where we will be staying over the next 9 days. I am disheartened to see how awfully big the Boy has gotten; he literally just fell out of the bed he is sharing with his daddy a minute ago while he was dozing off. I should probably call ahead to our next destination and see about getting a rollaway...

No comments: