24 February 2012

Fast and Faster

It's Lent again, and here I am facing another 40 days without Diet Coke. It's a sacrifice, I'm telling you - a real sacrifice! Not only will I miss the frosty cold bubbly-ness, but then there's the physiologic reality that I am going through detox. Not the kind where you sweat a lot and see babies crawling on the ceiling, but the kind where your body says, "HEY, WHERE'S MY DAGGONE CAFFEINE?" and, in ugly retribution for your inconsiderate abstinence, strikes you down with a paralyzing headache and a bad attitude.

So Diet Coke is part of my Lenten fast, but this year I'm adding a new layer of self-denial that is already turning into an eye-opener, and this is only the third day of Lent. Just 37 more to go! You see, I've...I've given up...I've given up FACEBOOK. I can barely get the words out. I am the poster child for Facebook addiction, complete with 600+ friends, 40-something photo albums, a shameful number of profile pictures and a nearly daily status update carefully crafted to incite giggles, pity, argument, envy or agreement within my FB universe.

I think what I love most about Facebook is that it is primarily all about me. Oh sure, I enjoy catching up with old friends (and new ones), and staying informed about what's going on with people, and getting coupons from business that I "like", and wishing people I haven't seen in 20 years a happy birthday, and...well, I actually enjoy lots of things about Facebook.

But if I'm really honest (which I strive for on most days), the main reason I like Facebook is the same reason the 9-year-old-me badgered my dad over and over and over again as I stood poised on the diving board to LOOK. AT. ME. Aren't I clever? Isn't that a great picture of my kids? Aren't you glad that we share some great memories?

Now before I rush to harsh self-condemnation here, I have to say that these are not necessarily bad motives. I DO like sharing my life with other people, and the nice thing about FB is that, if you don't feel like being shared with, you can certainly unfriend or block whomever you like. And I don't think it's a bad thing to want to make other people smile.

The problem for me with FB these days is that I've been so busy looking at ME that I often forget to look at Him. What better time than Lent to adjust my perspective? I am planning to spend more time blogging over the next few weeks but primarily in hopes that I continue exercising the gifts He's given me.

So - every time I crave a Diet Coke or get the urge to "just check in" on Facebook, I want to pause and pray and remember that He is the author and perfecter of my faith.

It's not all about me - it's all about HIM.

No comments: